Author Topic: Can I make Winfig look just like Xfig?  (Read 10460 times)

emamm

• View Profile
Can I make Winfig look just like Xfig?
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
Hello

I have run Xfig for years in my linux machines. I am not expert but I can get by.

Since I need to use Windows from time to time, I decided to give Winfig a go.  I must be really dumb because I got stuck on drawing my first diagram in a very simple thing:  I simply can't find move on toolbar!  Moreover, I can't add arrow even though the arrow button is there on toolbar.  I couldn't find where to change line thickness.  I am complety lost. Readme.doc didn't help me at all

Is there a  way to reconfigure winfig to look exactly as Xfig on linux?  With all menus and choices?

Many thanks

Ed

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make Winfig look just like Xfig?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »
I simply can't find move on toolbar! 

I'm amazed how many people ask how they can move objects, because that is done in WinFIG like in any other vector dawing application. You simply click on the object, hold the mouse button and drag it around. You do the same thing when you drag an icon around on the desktop. It works like this everywhere except for Xfig, which has this weird "Move" button.

Moreover, I can't add arrow even though the arrow button is there on toolbar.

That is easy too. You select the line (it must be highlighted) and select the arrow from the attributes bar on the right side.

I couldn't find where to change line thickness.

Same thing. Select the object and change the thickness in the attributes on the right side. As you can see, WinFIG provides access to these attributes without opening an additional properties dialog, which saves mouse clicks.

Is there a  way to reconfigure winfig to look exactly as Xfig on linux?  With all menus and choices?

No. I think Xfig uses a were peculiar interface. It has too many buttons, requires too many clicks and even needs a 3-button-mouse where 2 buttons are sufficient.
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

emamm

• View Profile
Re: Can I make Winfig look just like Xfig?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:02 PM »
Many thanks.

I guess I am used to Xifg. I will give another try and see how it goes.

Ed