Author Topic: Export generates empty files  (Read 7422 times)

DerTroll

• View Profile
Export generates empty files
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »
Using the export-function generates empty output-files. This occurs using export as bitmap and pictex with no error message.  :'(

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Export generates empty files
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
Using the export-function generates empty output-files. This occurs using export as bitmap and pictex with no error message.  :'(

The export of bitmap formats and PDF requires a GhostScript installation. Do you have one? If so, try to call fig2dev from the command line like this:

fi2dev-exe -L png infile.fig outfile.png

This should give you a helpful error message, i.e. "gswin32c.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command".

There is a different problem regarding pictex export. fig2dev really seems to crash.

Edit: found the problem. A call to time(&when); was missing in genpictex.c  I will release a fix shortly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:40:16 AM by Andreas »
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

DerTroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:33:28 AM »
Indeed, now the conversion to bitmaps works. But rendering of special-flaged LaTeX-commands is not possible this way. The Logfile shows nothing and there is no Errormessage at command line either. Do I have to put some LaTeX-Paths to the Systempath?!

But all together a very cool and usefull programm. Never used XFig but always wanted to create presentations with Latex and therefore needed a way to build Powerpoint-like graphics. So thanks for this nice prog and very fast support!

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
Indeed, now the conversion to bitmaps works. But rendering of special-flaged LaTeX-commands is not possible this way. The Logfile shows nothing and there is no Errormessage at command line either. Do I have to put some LaTeX-Paths to the Systempath?!

I never really used the pictex export. Perhaps it's a bug or a feature. Anyway, I recommend using the pstex export. This gives you full PostScript power combined with LaTeX formatting. PSTricks is also a nice alternative.

But all together a very cool and usefull programm. Never used XFig but always wanted to create presentations with Latex and therefore needed a way to build Powerpoint-like graphics. So thanks for this nice prog and very fast support!

Thanks for the appreciation. I still have a lot of enhancements in mind. Currently I'm working on smart links, which are very useful for flow charts or UML diagrams.
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

DerTroll

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
Creating ps-files is not a good alternative for me. I want to use these graphics for presentations and therefore I need transparent background (according to corporate design  ??? ) and the ability to scale the graphics without scaling the formulars and some text. Thats why pictex seems to me the best format to chose - allthough there is still some incompatiblility with pp4power.

So I am looking forward to the fixed version, thanks!