Author Topic: default options  (Read 10981 times)

crackshot

• View Profile
default options
« on: June 19, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
Dear forum,

I would like to have WinFIG start with some default page options
(e.g. A4 landscape using imperial units.)
Does WinFIG store the preferences for these anywhere, and can I alter them?

I would also like to know how I can alter the path of the Ghostscript binary file. I have two versions of GS installed, 8.13 and 8.53, WinFIG picks up the version 8.13 .

Thanks,
David

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: default options
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:46:08 PM »
Hello,

right now only some preferences are stored. You can see by opening regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WinFIG

[edit]
Version 4.x and later stores the settings in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AndreasSchmidt\WinFIG
[/edit]

It always stores the last used values as defaults. Probably you are right and it would be nice to store grid, magnet, units, zoom, page size and orientation too. I will see if I have some time to do it.

The GhostScript path is determined by looking into the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AFPL Ghostscript

Then WinFIG picks the first entry it finds. If you have 8.13 and 8.53, it would pick 8.13. This is perhaps not the most elegant way, but I did not really consider machines with more than one GhostScript on them.

Right now you can probably only remove the 8.13 installation. Actually I would do that. Or is there a special reason why you still need the 8.13?

Perhaps it would work to install 8.53 and then 8.13. This could place 8.13 after 8.53 (but I did not try). In that case WinFIG would choose 8.53.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:56:25 PM by Andreas »
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

crackshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:09 AM »
Right now you can probably only remove the 8.13 installation. Actually I would do that. Or is there a special reason why you still need the 8.13?
There's no particular reason I need 8.13, so I've just removed that. I think all of the recent LaTeX programs I have installed (LEd, TeXnicenter) work from the most recent 8.53 build anyway, I was just keeping the 8.13 as an insurance policy :)

I thought about it a bit more and just saved a blank WinFIG file with the preferences I need - (landscape, A4 imperial) - into a blank file and open this from the "file -> open" menu. I should really have thought of this before!

Thanks for the quick reply.
David

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
There's no particular reason I need 8.13, so I've just removed that. I think all of the recent LaTeX programs I have installed (LEd, TeXnicenter) work from the most recent 8.53 build anyway, I was just keeping the 8.13 as an insurance policy :)

yes, 8.53 is fine. 8.54 seems to have at least one font with wrong metrics. It hink Bookman is sligthly too big, but maybe it was another one.

I thought about it a bit more and just saved a blank WinFIG file with the preferences I need - (landscape, A4 imperial) - into a blank file and open this from the "file -> open" menu. I should really have thought of this before!

Yes, some settiings are stored at the beginning of the file. You can see it in a text editor. You still have to set it for each new drawing, but my assumption ist that this is not so often.

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:48 AM »
Hello,

right now only some preferences are stored. You can see by opening regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WinFIG

It always stores the last used values as defaults. Probably you are right and it would be nice to store grid, magnet, units, zoom, page size and orientation too. I will see if I have some time to do it.

The GhostScript path is determined by looking into the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AFPL Ghostscript

Then WinFIG picks the first entry it finds. If you have 8.13 and 8.53, it would pick 8.13. This is perhaps not the most elegant way, but I did not really consider machines with more than one GhostScript on them.

Since version 3.0 beta 2 WinFIG also looks for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript

and chooses the last sub-entry, i.e. if there is...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript\8.62
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript\8.63

...it choses the latter.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:37:30 AM by Andreas »