Author Topic: Scaling of elements / group of elements  (Read 8865 times)

MortenMacFly

• View Profile
Scaling of elements / group of elements
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
Hi there,
when embedding images into LaTeX documents I am often facing the need to scale the image e.g. by a certain percentage. I wonder if it is possible to select an object / a group of objects in WinFIG and scale it directly there? The pros would be that I would be able to just scale the objects, but not text/label fields.
As a use case:
It often happens that I need to extend an existing graph. Thus it gets e.g. too big to fit on a page in a document without resizing it. However, resizing in LaTeX of course also resizes the embedded text which is not what I want. The labels shall remain in the size as setup.
With regards, Morten.

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling of elements / group of elements
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
There is a solution to your problem. Include everything in a compound object and scale that one.

Before doing that, mark the text objects with the "rigid" flag . That's one of the buttons in the attributes tool bar on the right. Rigid texts don't scale. They only change their coordinates when the surrounding compound is being scaled.
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

MortenMacFly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:46:12 PM »
There is a solution to your problem. Include everything in a compound object and scale that one.
I am truly sorry that I answer that late. I had finished the document in question already.Now I am writing a new document with the same issue so I remembered that I had asked. ;-)
Thanks for your answer, however, I tried hard to do what you said, but if I select the object compound simply nothing happens. How am I supposed to use this?! It's not mentioned in the documentation... or I was unable to find the related XFig function.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:50:30 PM by MortenMacFly »

Andreas

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:03:01 PM »
Thanks for your answer, however, I tried hard to do what you said, but if I select the object compound simply nothing happens. How am I supposed to use this?! It's not mentioned in the documentation... or I was unable to find the related XFig function.

There is a "Scale compound object" button in the tool bar. It's almost in the bottom just above the "delete" button. Activate this and you can pull the sides and corners of a compound object. Everything inside will scale. It's even possible to exclude text objects from scaling by setting the "rigid" flag on them. This may be useful in some situations where only the graphics shall be scaled, but not the font sizes.
This forum belongs to www.schmidt-web-berlin.de/winfig

MortenMacFly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
There is a "Scale compound object" button in the tool bar. It's almost in the bottom just above the "delete" button. Activate this and you can pull the sides and corners of a compound object. Everything inside will scale. It's even possible to exclude text objects from scaling by setting the "rigid" flag on them. This may be useful in some situations where only the graphics shall be scaled, but not the font sizes.
Excellent!!! Id didn't know it was that easy. Thanks a lot!